Your Specialists for Neurological Sports Medicine in Munich
Neurology and sports
Sports and nutrition play a major role in the therapy of neurological and psychiatric diseases. In the past, sports were thought to be harmful in certain diseases such as multiple sclerosis. Today, we know that this is not the case: in most neurological and psychiatric diseases, sports have a positive effect on the course of the disease and quality of life.
However as patient, you may wonder whether you should exercise in your own personal case and, more importantly, how much or what kind of exercise. Perhaps you would like to start exercising and do not know how. Then you have come to the right place.
Sports Medical Screening/Health Check-up
You can have a sports medical screening in our practice. This is done in cooperation of sports physician Dr. Sabine Uez and internist Dr. Senka Schlederer.
The contents of the check-up:
- Detailed medical history and physical examination
- Resting ECG
- Pulmonary function test
- Screening of cardiovascular risk factors
- Exercise ECG with lactate test (helpful for your training planning and for determining your current training status)
- Nutritional counseling for internal and neurological issues
- Body fat assessment (BIA)
- Ultrasound examination of the brain-supplying vessels
- Discussion of the findings, Consultation in relation to existing internal and -neurological/psychiatric underlying diseases and sports
- Creation of a training plan and instruction in the training. Training support via the training app Virtuagym.
- A lactate test at the request of your neurologist with indication-specific evaluation in the case of a possible metabolic myopath (a muscle disease) can also be performed.
The treatment is available in German, English, French and Serbo-Croatian.
Cost Coverage by Health Insurance
The costs of a sports medical examination are covered by some statutory health insurance companies in case the patient chooses a doctor who is registered on the sports medicine list of the German Society for Sports Medicine and Prevention (DGSP). Our sports physician Dr. Sabine Uez belongs to the group of these physicians recommended by the DGSP. The cost of a nutritional consultation is reimbursed by the statutory health insurance companies (depending on their standard) in the case of relevant pre-existing conditions or obesity..
Competitive Athletes at the Neurozentrum Arabellapark
Concussions occur relatively frequent in athletes from contact sports due to collisions, falls or blows to the head. Often these are trivialized and not treated professionally. As part of a cooperative effort, we provide care to athletes regarding the prevention and treatment of head injuries. This care ranges from basic neuropsychological testing at the beginning of the season to interdisciplinary care after a trauma and professional support during the "return to play". Also feel free to contact us as a team.
Nerve Overload Damage
Since athletes often perform certain movements over and over again, this is where nerve overload damage to certain nerves often occurs, manifested by pain, tingling or weakness in the muscles. We diagnose these and initiate professional treatment.
Sleep Disorders in Athletes
Sleep disorders are relatively common, especially in competitive athletes, and can be a problem in terms of their performance. Professor Young assists them in finding the cause and therapy of sleep disorders.